Episode 5: How to Build an Insurance Based Private Practice with Alison Pidgeon
Alison Pidgeon, MA, LPC is a licensed professional counselor and the owner of Move Forward Counseling in Lancaster, PA. She employs four therapists and a virtual assistant in her women’s issue-focused group practice.
Once a director at a community mental health clinic, Alison took the brave leap into full-time private practice. What started out as a solo private practice quickly grew into a group practice. In her second year of business, Alison quadrupled her practice's gross profits and surpassed the six-figure mark. Most of all, she was able to achieve this while operating a practice whose clientele is 95% insurance based.
Now Alison has joined with Joe Sanok, from Practice of the Practice, as a consultant for other private practice owners. She loves being an entrepreneur and helping others achieve their dream of being their own boss. Alison’s specialties as a consultant include educating other clinicians about how to have an insurance-based practice and how to grow a solo practice to a group practice.
In addition to her work as a counselor, Alison authors a regular column in a local lifestyle magazine, Susquehanna Style, discussing issues related to mental health. She has also been featured on the Practice of the Practice podcast and The Therapist Experience podcast.
What you will learn from this episode:
- How to go make leap from full time job to starting a private practice
- How to grow from solo practitioner to forming a group practice
- How to choose the right insurance panels to work with
- What to look for in hiring a virtual assistant
- How to market a new private practice
- Ways to get over the mental blocks of marketing yourself and your private practice
- How to become business minded in growing your psychotherapy practice
- Learning from mistakes to get to the next level in your business
How to get in touch with Alison Pidgeon:
Free Checklist “How to Build a Group Practice”:
The Business of Psychotherapy Social Links
Learn how to build a fullpsychotherapy private practice here: http://bit.ly/2lJdgZZ